Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Movie Review - Race Across The Sky: The Leadville Trail 100

Last Thursday Fathom Events screened Race Across The Sky: The Leadville Trail 100 in select theatres across the nation. I have to admit that, not being much of a mountain biker, I considering skipping out. However, I know a couple of guys who rode the Leadville this year and the hopes of seeing people I knew on the big screen was enough to draw me in. So I paid my $12.50 (OUCH!) and settled in for what I thought was going to be the Lance Armstrong show (LA obliterated the old Leadville 100 course record this year).

Although Lance was a prominent figure in the film he was not the focus and that turns out to be, in my opinion, the film's salvation. We've all seen Lance systematically pick apart a race and dismantle his competition and his performance at Leadville differs very little in that regard from his performance at any of his seven TdF victories. Don't get me wrong, there were amazing shots of LA motoring up Columbine climb in an Energizer Bunny-like fashion and the drama of him riding the last several miles on a flat, but let's face it: everyone who follows cycling knew how this film ended before it began.

The things that makes Race Across The Sky an inspiring film and wonderful sport documentary are the stories and shots of the non-pros who show up to race or in some cases simply finish. The Leadville 100 is an epic event on the scale of an Ironman and requiring the same kind of dedication and training. Therefore it's those folks who don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning who make the story most interesting. For instance, the movie also follows a guy who's run the Leadville 100 fifteen times - on the same bike. There's also the story of a woman who was struck by a car on a training ride but recovered to come back and finish the race.

By showing the "normal" folks who determine to ride the Leadville the film brings the race down to the everyman's level - you see folks who are genuinely suffering but also enjoying themselves - folks who had to make significant sacrifices both in time and money just to show up in shape to finish the race. That's when I, as an amateur rider, started to think, "Man, I'd like to do that one day." And I suppose ultimately that's why I liked the film so much, because I can relate (at least a little bit) to the suffering of the contestants, the difficulty of the race, the comraderie of support teams as well as the accomplishment, pride, and exhaustion that you see on their faces as the riders come in to the finish. It's the kind of thing that makes you want to get out and ride yourself.

I don't know if Citizen Pictures is going to make the film available on DVD but they are planning an encore showing on November 12. Go to www.raceacrossthesky.com for more info and if you didn't see it the first time you don't want to miss it again.

No comments: